We pride ourselves in giving customers clear concise information on all of our prices and policies. Unfortunately in trying to secure your business many self storage companies are not quite so honest. Here is a list we have complied to help you avoid some underhand practices.
- Compulsory Insurance: Many companies require you to take their insurance with a storage unit. Beware of this often exorbitant hidden charge
- Increasing rates: You may be enticed by a seemingly great introductory offer or discount off but beware prices often increase when you have moved in. Try to fix your storage rate as far in advance as possible
- Free move in service: Again this is often another example of a misleading introductory offer be sure to check the terms and conditions carefully. The first month may cost double to cover the ‘free’ move in!
- Free Storage: First month free, again sounds good at first but you often end up paying more over time.
- Minimum term: Check how long you are tied in for, some contracts have been known to have a requirement of 3 or even 6 months!
- Notice Period: Check what notice period is required when you move out. When combined with the minimum term this can add up to quite a significant time if not managed carefully.
- VAT: Since 2012 VAT has been a compulsory charge on most self storage units. Be sure that your quote includes VAT.
- Prices not advertised: It is a surprising fact that most storage companies do not advertise their storage charges on their web sites. This is because many customers do not pay the same rate for the same size of storage unit within the same facility leaving some people paying a high premium.